A lecture presented by Professor Ronald Cammenga sponsored by the Evangelism Committee of Southwest Protestant Reformed Church.
One hot button issue in the church today is the issue of theistic evolution. By and large the church of our day has made her peace with the evolutionists, and accepted evolution as fact—scientifically demonstrable and biblically defensible. The teaching of theistic evolution, that is, the teaching that God created all things, but that He created them by means of a process of evolution, is the view to which most professing Christians today subscribe. Although there are many problems with this view, one great problem is that Genesis 1 and 2 must be taken literally. When taken literally they clearly do not support the teaching of evolution.
In “Theistic Evolution: Should the Church Make Peace or War?” we will examine the re-interpretation of Genesis 1 and 2 by the theistic evolutionists.
- Is the teaching of theistic evolution compatible with the Bible’s teaching? Or is theistic evolution a fatal compromise of biblical truth, with far-reaching consequences for those churches, theologians, and individuals who are willing to make this compromise?
- Does the Bible make allowance for this teaching? May the opening chapters of Genesis be interpreted from an evolutionary standpoint? Is it possible and is it permissible to read Genesis 1 and 2 in such a way that although God is the creator of all things, God created all things by means of the process of evolution? Is it possible that the “days” of Genesis were something other than literal, 24-hour days?
- Does the teaching of Theistic Evolution affect the doctrines of salvation?
- Should those who endorse the teaching of theistic evolution be permitted membership in the Christian church? Should they be permitted to teach in the Christian schools, in the Christian colleges and universities, and in Reformed and Presbyterian churches and seminaries?
- What must be the biblical and confessional response of Christians, particularly Reformed Christians, to the teaching of the theistic evolutionists? For the sake of peace in the church, should we tolerate this view and those who hold to it?
These are just some of the questions connected to this controversial issue that will be examined in a public lecture entitled, “Theistic Evolution: Should the Church Make Peace or War?” on Friday, October 9, 2015 7:30PM at Grace Community Church in Hudsonville, Michigan. Join us for an evening of instruction out of the Word of God as we examine together the fundamental truth of creation. Bring your Bible—and a friend.
October 9, 2015
Grace Community Church 3500 New Holland St.
Hudsonville, MI 49426